How to donate foodFood Drive General Information
Thank you for planning and participating in a food drive that will help feed hungry households in West Alabama. To help you have a successful food drive we offer you the following tips and other information you will need when contacting the food bank.
Donation delivery to the food bank:
The West Alabama Food Bank accepts donations from the public from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday – Thursday and from 8:00 am to noon on Friday. For deliveries after these hours please call the food bank at (205) 759-5519 or email us at email@example.com to see if another time can be scheduled. Please CLICK HERE for directions to the food bank.
Food drive tips:
• Advertise your food drive with flyers, brochures, or other announcements. People must know about your food drive in order to participate. Be sure to list pertinent contact names and phone numbers if donors have questions.
• Provide bags, boxes or collection barrels for donors to put their donation in. Decorate these collection materials to attract attention to your food drive.
• Enlist high-energy people to contact donors and collect food. Enthusiasm is contagious!
• Be sure to thank donors and reward individuals or groups that bring in the most food.
• A work-organized food drive will be more successful if your employer is involved in planning – they may even match your contributions.
• For those people that just can’t seem to bring a can of food – ask them for a cash contribution. For every $1 donated to the food bank we can distribute $7 worth of food.
• Be sure to ask donors for unopened, non-perishable food items, please no glass containers or homemade foods.
• The food bank always needs items like breakfast foods, peanut butter, canned fruit, canned vegetables, canned meats and soups, crackers and cookies.
Your food drive is urgently needed!
The West Alabama Food Bank frequently needs food product in the late summer/early fall (August/September) and early spring (March). Your food drive at this time will be of immense help to our community.
Last year food bank agencies distributed 1.22 million pounds of food in the form of 95,373 emergency food boxes and 133,215 meals.
Thanks again for donating your time and talents to help those in need!